Program Mission Statement
The Engineering Physics program supports the mission of the department, college, and university through its commitment to teaching, research and service. Our upper division courses in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics provide an educational pathway for college students seeking to advance their careers. The program strives to serve the needs of industry by emphasizing practical applications and hands-on experiences in our undergraduate program. The Engineering Physics program will produce graduates with a solid foundation in physics and engineering, capable of interdisciplinary innovation, and prepared for success in the engineering workplace.
Department Mission Statement
The primary mission of the Department of Physics and Astronomy is teaching of the highest quality at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. The Department, through its various programs, continually strives to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for life long learning, an understanding of the physical aspects of the world in which we live and the ability to comprehend physical science and mathematical advancements and their benefits to our culture and future generations.
To assist in the accomplishment of this mission, the Department of Physics and Astronomy encourages and supports scholarship and research of the highest quality among the faculty.
To provide outreach and service as an educational institution, the Department of Physics and Astronomy supports its faculty in utilizing their expertise to the benefit of the university community and regional, state, national and international communities.
College Mission Statement
The primary mission of the College of Sciences and Mathematics is to provide the
highest quality undergraduate and graduate programs. Through excellent teaching,
research and other scholarly activities, the college provides students with the following:
- the knowledge and skills necessary for lifelong learning,
- an understanding of the world in which we live and preparation to assume roles in
leadership, responsibility and service to society; and
- the ability to comprehend scientific and mathematical advancements that impact
society and benefit future generations
University Mission Statement
Stephen F. Austin State University is a comprehensive institution dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative work, and service. Through the personal attention of our faculty and staff, we engage our students in a learner-centered environment and offer opportunities to prepare for the challenges of living in the global community.
In order to accomplish this mission, we will engage in the following strategic initiatives over the next five years:
Strategic Plan: Preparing for the Future*
- Initiative #1 - Enhance excellence in teaching and learning, research, scholarship, creative work, and service
- Initiative #2 - Improve faculty and staff compensation, recognition, and support
- Initiative #3 - Increase undergraduate and graduate enrollment
- Initiative #4 - Develop a learner-centered environment
- Initiative #5 - Create new learning opportunities through additional interdisciplinary, international, service learning, and civic engagement experiences
- Initiative #6 - Increase the visibility of the university through marketing initiatives